The joint venture from Microsoft and Nine Entertainment Co. has today launched its new corporate and trade brand: Mi9. The new brand reflects ninemsn’s growth beyond publishing and the coming together of a portfolio of digital investments spanning; publishing, data, consumer insights, advertising technologies and online products.
To help lead the expanded business, Matt James, will move from his current role as MD at Starcom, UK, to the newly created role of Managing Director of Mi9 Media. James will join Mi9 in June. His remit will be to spearhead the Mi9 Advertising and Microsoft Media Network teams, including sales, insights and a new commercially-integrated creative production house Mi9 Studios.
Mi9 CEO Mark Britt revealed the company’s new corporate vision and a forward-thinking organisational structure that will see ‘imagination + intelligence’ underpin everything Mi9 does.
“We’re already the Australian leader in online audiences. We’re extending our reach with our ad network, leading the market shift to programmatic trading, making a big bet on data and driving brand experiences onto new properties like Xbox. Mi9 is the articulation of our evolved digital offering,” says Britt.
The bold new Mi9 logo represents the broader partnership of Microsoft and Nine Entertainment Co. and includes an ‘i’, representing the new guiding principles for the business: the marriage of two things - imagination + intelligence.
“Imagination is at the heart of what we do. We know the context of advertising drives brand consideration and preference. Imaginative advertising within iconic content experiences and deep insight delivers better results.
"Intelligence is using data, insights and technology to drive efficiencies and superior results,” says Britt.
Mi9 is structured into four divisions: Audience, Advertising, Data and Ventures.
The Audience division, led by Alex Parsons, Managing Director of ninemsn, encompasses ninemsn , Hotmail, Messenger, Skydrive and Bing. This includes Australia’s leading digital news, entertainment, fashion and sports portal, plus more than 80 other sites, including Nine News, Wide World of Sports, Grazia , Australian Women’s Weekly, ninemsn video and The FIX and Australia’s most popular webmail and instant messaging services.
With a newly consolidated editorial team, the audience business is aligned to deliver experiences that change the way Australians interact with and consume content via the internet whether that be on the PC, mobile tablets or connected TVs.
Mi9 Media, to be led by Matt James, comprises all commercial functions including:
- Mi9 Advertising- selling Mi9 owned and operated premium sites, where context is important to advertisers.
- Microsoft Media Network– incorporated into the JV late last year, Microsoft Media Network represents Mi9’s third party advertising network and performance products.
- Microsoft Advertising Exchange – launched in Australia last year, a real-time bidding marketplace that allows advertisers to bid on premium online inventory on an individual impression basis.
- Mi9 Studios - previously NinePixels, Mi9’s creative design and development team, with an expanded offering focused on branded content and online video production.
- Mi9 Insights – focused on providing research into consumer behaviour online and translating that into actionable insights for advertisers. New research uncovering insights into Australian mums will be available at the end of April.
Mi9 Data and Technology, the team led by Richard McLaren, Chief Data and Technology Officer, has created the Mi9 Data Engine. In the months ahead, Mi9 will enable marketers to reach their consumers with a personal dialogue, review and adapt their marketing strategies for maximum efficiency, and drive up the ROI of their campaign.
- New targeting products – instead of just offering “off-the-shelf” targeting segments, when advertisers want to reach a specific audience, Mi9 will offer new custom designed targeting products, based on an advertiser’s specific target audience and marketing objectives.
Mi9 Ventures, this incorporates all investments including, Cudo, iSelect, Rate City and HWW.
“Mi9 is our response to a rapidly changing industry. We’re shifting to a fundamentally more intelligent way to communicate with and reach audiences,” said Britt.